Table of Contents
Sanchi a town of Raisen District, Madhya Pradesh became first Solar city of India. On September 06, 2023 Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh inaugurated the India’s first Solar City, Sanchi. Sanchi, comprises of many Buddhist monuments, stands as an eternal testament to the ancient faith. As the cradle of Buddhism, it venerates a heritage as old as time itself and that is why it is a World Heritage town.
Why this is an important news?
India along with world is moving towards the target of Net-Zero carbon emission. India has set certain goals towards this theses are as follows:
- Long-term target: Achieve net-zero carbon emissions by 2070.
- Short-term target: Achieve 50% of its electricity requirements from renewable energy sources by 2030
- Aim for 500 GW of renewable energy capacity by 2030.
- Reduce carbon intensity by less than 45% by the end of 2030.
Please keep in mind that there are many sources of renewable energy apart from Solar energy like Wind Power, Hydrogen, Biomass gas etc.
Highlights of First Solar city Project
- Capacity: Sanchi Solar City emerged from a 3 MW solar project located near Sanchi in Nagauri.
- This groundbreaking initiative is set to curtail annual carbon dioxide emissions by a staggering approximately 14 thousand tonnes. To put this monumental achievement into perspective, it is equivalent to the oxygen-producing capacity of over 2 lakh 38 thousand trees.
- There will be an annual saving of Rs 7.68 crore in electricity expenditure incurred in the homes of citizens and government works in Sanchi.
- In Sanchi, govt have set up solar panels on the roofs of places like railway stations, schools, government offices, streetlights, and post offices.
Important Points for Competitive Exams
- Sanchi is in Raisen District of Madhya Pradesh
- To transform Sanchi into a net-zero city the State Department of Renewable Energy and IIT Kanpur also signed an agreement.
- Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh: Shri Shivraj Singh Chouhan
- Governor of Madhya Pradesh: Mangubhai C. Patel
- Capital of Madhya Pradesh: Bhopal
For more Such News Click Here